For the fastest possible Harvest workflow in Canix, we recommend using the Canix Harvest Importer. To use the uploader, you'll scan tags and record weights directly from your scale into the Canix Harvest Import Template and then upload this file into Canix.
The advantages to this approach are:
- Capturing tags and weights without needing to type on a keyboard (depending on hardware setup)
- Allowing for multi-strain harvesting (Canix will automatically split the upload into separate harvests by strain)
What you'll need:
- A laptop or tablet that runs MacOS or Windows
- A barcode scanner with bluetooth connection or USB cable
- A scale with bluetooth connection and a bluetooth dongle, or a USB cable
- Microsoft Excel
In this article we'll cover:
- Hardware Setup
- Recording Tags & Weights in the Harvest Template
- Importing the Harvest Template
Keep reading or watch this video to learn more:
Connecting both your scanner and scale allows for recording tags and weights without typing. See these guidelines for connecting your scanner and scale.
- Bluetooth Enabled: this connection will work similarly to connecting a pair of headphones to your laptop. It's ideal to have the cables out of the way while harvesting, and we recommend this option when possible.
- USB Connection: most scanners will come with a USB connector. If you purchase a connector for your scanner make sure you have the correct USB connection type before ordering.
- Bluetooth Enabled: for bluetooth enabled scales we recommending connecting to your laptop via a bluetooth dongle. This allows both your scale and barcode scanner to be connected to the laptop at the same time via bluetooth.
USB Connection: If your scale is not bluetooth enabled, you can connect directly to your laptop using a USB Interface kit, for example this connector.
- *this exact kit may not work with your scale, please verify before purchasing.
ONLY ONE DEVICE, SCANNER OR SCALE CAN BE CONNECTED VIA BLUETOOTH. AT LEAST ONE MUST BE HARDWIRED TO YOUR LAPTOP.
Recording Tags & Weights in the Harvest Template
Once both scanner and scale are connected, download the Canix Import Template.
- Do not open the template with Google Sheets! Use this link to download the .xlsm file provided by the link.
1. To record weights start with your cursor in cell B2 and scan the first plant tag for your harvest.You'll see the cursor automatically move to the right, to the "weight" column after scanning.
Once your scale settles press "Enter" on the scale to record the weight and your cursor will automatically move to the next row, ready for the next tag to be scanned.
Repeat this process until all of your plants have been weighed!
Units will be set to grams be default, but you can over-write these units by editing the formula in Excel and updating "grams" to read "kilograms", "pounds", or "ounces".
Once all plants have been weighed you can import the file into Canix to create your harvests.
1. Convert your file to a CSV by navigating to File > Save As and specifying the file format as CSV.
3. Select "Import Wayfast Harvest" from the actions menu.
- Canix will automatically create separate Harvests for each strain with the corresponding plant tags
4. Select "Review All Harvests" to confirm the Harvest Name and Location and the weights for each harvest.
5. "Save as Draft" to save the information and submit later, or select "Submit Harvest" to create and submit the harvest.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I add plants from separate facilities to the import template?
- Yes, when harvesting plants from multiple facilities/licenses you can record weights in a single import template. In Canix you'll need to upload this template for each facility, we'll recognize the plants that are in that facility only.