Save time updating inventory by scanning Plant and Package tags directly into the Canix web app. This can be used for all Plant and Package actions in Canix, including compliance actions, inventory updates, costing, and label printing.
For information on RFID scanning, please read more here.
In this article we will cover:
- Setting up your Scanner
- Scanning Plant and Package Tags in Canix
- Scanning with a phone into the Canix web app
- Taking Actions with Limited Internet
Setting up your Scanner
In order for continuous scanning to be enabled in Canix, you will need to set your scanner to “carriage mode” or add the enter key as a suffix.
To find out if your Scanner is operating in the correct mode:
- Open up a Word Document or Google Doc and grab your scanner and a single barcode
- Connect your scanner to your laptop
- Place your cursor in the Document and start scanning the barcode
- If you see each scan appear on a new line, you’re ready to start scanning into Canix ✅
- If you see each scan appear one after the other, you’ll need to look up how to configure your specific scanner so that each scan returns on a new line:
Notes & tips for finding out how to properly configure your Scanner:
Each scanner is different, but searching for your scanners model # and the words “carriage mode”, “suffix settings” or “return after scan” are good starting points to find information on how to configure your model.
Typically these settings are configured by scanning from the user manual. Many of these manuals can be found online and printed out. For example these are the settings for the Inateck BCST-70.
Scanning Plant and Package Tags in Canix
- Connect your tablet/laptop to your scanner using the above steps
- Enter your cursor into the tag search box on one of the Plants or Packages tables
- Scan the tags that you’re updating, or taking action on and select “Actions”
- If you see an Action in black, you can take that action without selecting your inventory. The action will be taken for all inventory currently on the page.
- For some actions you may need to select inventory before submitting.
Checkout our video showing how to scan into the Package and Plant tables in Canix, helping you quickly take actions on inventory and save time while you're at it:
Scanning with a phone into the Canix web app
Barcode scanning is significantly faster than scanning with a mobile camera, we strongly recommend scanning into a tablet or laptop with a bluetooth barcode scanner.
However if there are unique aspects of your operation that require scanning with a mobile phone, you can consider using an app like Barcode to PC to achieve this. Here's an example video showing how this can be accomplished, there are many options for barcode scanning apps that can send the scans to your computer or tablet, set up may vary from app to app.
For areas in your facility that have limited internet access, for example a seasonal outdoor grow, you can scan tags into a spreadsheet or TXT file and then copy & paste those tags into Canix when you've returned to a part of your facility that has internet access. Many barcode scanning apps such as Barcode to PC and RFID scanners like the Zebra RFD 8500 allow for exporting CSV lists. You capture barcodes with these tools offline and copy and paste the tags into Canix to take actions.
Watch this video to see Copy & Pasting tags in action: