There are a few required or optional actions that you must complete in Metrc that cannot be done just in Canix. The reason is that Metrc has not opened up API access to allow third-party integrators, such as Canix, to submit this specific data or send these changes directly to Metrc.
For #2 and #3, you will begin your work in Canix and then navigate to your Metrc instance to upload data. The list below provides links to articles as available that will give you step-by-step instructions to complete these actions with ease! Options may very depending on state regulations.
- Order Metrc Tags
- Accept Incoming and Outgoing Transfers
- Plant Waste Without Destruction
- Trade Samples
- Package Plant Waste
- Discontinue a Package to Return Contents to Source
- Unfinish a Finished/Inactive Package
- Package Vegetative Plants
- Revert Growth Phase of Plants
- Rename Plant Batches
- Change Plant Batch Strains
- Change Vegetative or Flowering Plant Strains
- Restore Harvested Plants to Flowering
- OH - Item Creation for Specific Categories of Items in Ohio
- Multi-Destination Transfers & Maintenance of Transfers
Any changes made directly in Metrc will be pulled into Canix EOD in our daily overnight sync. If you wish to see them sooner, use Refresh Metrc Data in Canix to see your changes reflected immediately.
1. Order Metrc Tags
- Ordering and Receiving Metrc Tags must be done from within Metrc. Your designated Metrc account manager will follow these steps in the link above to order the package and plant tags electronically and then receive them into the facility once they've arrived.
2. Accept Incoming and Outgoing Transfers
- Accepting Incoming Transfers allows you to accept new packages into your facility so that you can manage them in Canix. This includes purchases made from other licensed distributors.
- Registering Outgoing Transfers allows you to submit your Draft Transfer Template in Metrc. We strongly recommend that you always use Canix to create all Transfers, but once you have done that, you will then need to go into Metrc to simply Register the Transfer so that you can generate a transfer manifest to move the packages out of your facility.
3. Plant Waste Without Destruction
- Uploading Plant Waste to Metrc after creating it in Canix. Log and report your waste in Canix with ease. Once you are finished, Canix will email you a CSV file of your waste. Simply open Metrc and upload the file into Metrc, then return to Canix and Refresh Metrc Data.
- For clarification on the waste and destruction process:
- Harvest Waste - Canix submits through the Metrc API
- Plant Waste + Destroy - Canix submits through the Metrc API
- Plant Destruction - Canix submits through the Metrc API
- Plant Waste alone - Canix emails you a CSV that you can upload to Metrc, this is not submitted via the API
- For clarification on the waste and destruction process:
4. Trade Samples
- Trade Samples are not allowed to be submitted via the Metrc API so the entire process must be handled exclusively in Metrc for Oregon and Michigan.
- To handle Trade Samples, you'll need to navigate to your Metrc account, Split Packages to create the Trade Samples and mark them as such, Create a Trade Sample Transfer Template, and Register the Trade Sample Template. Once you've completed these steps, return to Canix and Refresh Metrc Data in order to maintain accuracy within Inventory Availability.
5. Package Plant Waste
- Most states allow for Licensees to dispose of their own Plant Waste, but certain states, such as OK, may require some Licensees to use a Licensed Waste Hauler to dispose of it.
- If your state requires this, your Plant Waste Packages must be created directly in Metrc
- In Metrc, navigate to Plants > Waste > Package Waste to create a Plant Waste Package (after logging Waste)
6. Discontinue a Package to Return Contents to Source
- To discontinue a Package with contents no longer needed, use Canix's Finish Packages
- To discontinue a Package and have it's contents returned to the Source Package it came from, this must be completed directly in Metrc
- In Metrc, navigate to Packages > Active > select Package(s) > on the far right, select X (Discontinue) to return the entire contents of the Package to the Source Package
7. Unfinish a Finished/Inactive Package
- Restoring a Finished Package to Active must be done in Metrc
- In Metrc, navigate to Packages > Inactive > select Package(s) to restore > select Unfinish
8. Package Vegetative Plants
- Packaging Vegetative Plants currently must be completed in Metrc.
- Navigate to Plants > Vegetative > select Plant(s) to Package > Create Packages
9. Revert Growth Phase of Plants
- Reverting the Growth Phase of Plants back to previous phases must be completed in Metrc; for complete steps, see the last section of Update Growth Phase for Plants
10. Rename Plant Batches
- Renaming Plant Batches (which are called Groups in Metrc) can only be completed in Metrc. Some states use Plant Tags, while others use Names.
- Navigate to Plants > Immature > select Plant Batch (Group) > Change Tags or Rename
11. Change Plant Batch Strains
- Changing the Strain on Plant Batches (which are called Groups in Metrc) can only be completed in Metrc due to current Metrc API limitations.
- In Metrc, navigate to Plants > Immature > select Plant Batch (Group) > Change Strains
12. Change Vegetative or Flowering Plant Strains
- Changing the Strains on Vegetative or Flowering Plants (individual or multiple) can only be completed in Metrc due to current Metrc API limitations.
- In Metrc, navigate to Plants > Vegetative or Flowering > click to select the Plants (to select multiple, click the first Plant then hold shift when selecting the last Plant > Change Strains
13. Restore Harvested Plants to Flowering
- Restoring Harvested Plants to Flowering must be completed in Metrc, for a complete Harvest.
- In Metrc, navigate to Plants > Harvested > select Harvest Batch(es) > on the far right, select X (Discontinue) to restore all Plants from the Harvest to Flowering
14. OH - Item Creation for Specific Categories of Items in Ohio
- In Ohio, certain categories of Items must be created directly in Metrc because of Metrc API limitations.
- Currently, the Metrc API does not allow Brands to be pulled through the API
- Metrc is working on this, but it will likely not be available until Q3/Q4 of 2023
15. Multi-Destination Transfers & Maintenance of Transfers
- Circular transfers can be created from Canix to send to Metrc, but Multi-destination Transfers currently must be created directly in Metrc while further work is completed by Metrc to allow this information to be shared through the API.
- 🚨 Any maintenance of transfers when selling still needs to be done in Metrc until managing transfers is made available in Metrc's API; stay tuned for updated capabilities!